Friday, September 20, 2019

The Undoing of Thistle Tate by Katelyn Detweiler

The Undoing of Thistle TateThe Undoing of Thistle Tate by Katelyn Detweiler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

This is one that I almost passed by, but something about the story sounded interesting. I was not sure if this was going to a hit or miss. I ended up really enjoying this.

This is story around finding yourself, the domino effect of lying, and more important things in life. It takes a turn around mental health the second half including depression and possible suicide. It is one of the first books I have found that (on the surface) covers Chrones disease. I was not expecting that at all. It is not the center of the story, but I still like that it is mentioned as my mother has Chrones.
I did not like the dysfunctional relationship between Thistle and her father. I did not like how her father manipulates Thistle for his own grief of losing his wife/her mom. It moves towards a story around mental health. The ending was a little too long and drawn out for me. I almost feel the first half and the second half were two separate books when it moved on to the story about her mother.

This does have a story within itself. You get a glimpse into the Lemonade Skies and how it parallels with Thistle and her own loss of her mother. I like what it brought to the story.

There is also a love triangle that does include some teenage cheating. The romances were cute though as you find Thistle torn between a new love interest and a long term friendship romance.

Overall, I enjoyed this one so much more than I was expecting though.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment