Wednesday, August 21, 2019

The Reckless Oath We Made by Bryn Greenwood

The Reckless Oath We MadeThe Reckless Oath We Made by Bryn Greenwood
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was sent this book for the publisher the publisher. My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review.

This one hurts a little and is a little hard to review. I read All The Ugly and Wonderful Things earlier this year and loved it. The Reckless Oath We Made was one of my most anticipated releases for the year. I started it the first day when it came to me in the mail.

I really loved the beginning as you start to learn about Zee and her family. I thought I was going to be hooked. Once Gentry gets introduced though, everything slowed down for me. I ended up having to wait and finish this on audiobook as Mid-Evil times is just not my thing.

Gentry has some mental health issues including multiple characters that are talking to him. He also lives and talks within Mid-Evil times. His chapters are written in mid-evil times languages. The story even builds the relationship between Zee and Gentry by going to a castle with mid-evil activities. Where I can appreciate a relationship that is not perfect and the message that everyone deserves love I just did not care about any of this. I found it very slow and boring. I wanted to skip ahead to more around Zee and her sister.
Again, I loved Zee’s story. Her sister is missing: possibly kidnapped or possibly helping prison escapees. Her mother is a hoarder and six hundred pounds as after dealing with grief. Zee is involved with drugs and just trying to make it through life. I loved everything around her story, just did not connect with the love story. That is why I am giving this three stars. I really enjoyed this aspect of the story.

There are so many characters besides just our main characters as well. If they are mentioned, they most likely have a chapter from their perspective. I would have preferred to stay within Zee and Gentry. I did not love this aspect of the story either.

This is such a hard book to rate. I really loved some thing and did not really like other things. The second half was much more fast past from the very slow middle. I am just torn!

Overall, sadly this one was not for me. I ended skimming to the end and through Zee’s parts as I still wanted to know what happened. I also do appreciate the messages in the story overall, the delivery just was not for me.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment