Monday, August 5, 2019

For Black Girls Like Me by Mariama J. Lockington

For Black Girls Like MeFor Black Girls Like Me by Mariama J. Lockington
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is middle grade/young adult, but does read a little more young adult. I was not expecting this to follow so many issues as it covers so much more than just race (triggers for racism and mental health).

I was happy to see that the author covered topics from adoption, to race, mental health, and finding yourself. Makeda is trying to find herself in a world where she just does not seem to fit in. She deals with trying to fit in with her family and peers while dealing with stereotypes the world faces today. She is also dealing with issues at home with her parents and in their own relationships.

I am not the targeted audience for this one, so it is a little hard to rate. I am giving this four stars though. I do recommend this for older children (yes, still YA) but it does cover several issues that would be beneficial for everyone to read. It includes insults and language that you just need to be aware of if you having a younger child read this. They all make excellent discussions to have with your child though as they are reading. Just be aware, but author does include real life situations that made the story even better in my opinion.

Overall, this was pretty good and an important read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment