Thursday, July 30, 2020

One to Watch by Kate Stayman-London


One to WatchOne to Watch by Kate Stayman-London
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5 Stars

I was sent this book from the publisher/publicity team. My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review.

Bachelor Nation…take notes! If you are a fan of The Bachelor dating show, you need to pick this one up! There has been a ton of social media discussing and demanding more diversity around The Bachelor, but not enough discussion around the types of leads and contestants they cast outside of just race (Yes, we need that too). One to Watch deals with having a plus size lead, and I am here for it!

This stays pretty on tact with how the Bachelor show works, with some extra twists along the way. It shows the negative side of social media especially around people who are overweight. I actually loved how realistic these parts were. Let me add, I am reading this as someone who is overweight and still really enjoyed it.

I loved Bea. I really love how closed off she is and how we get to see her break down her own insecurities. She has to learn that she is worthy of love.

The only thing I did not love was when talking about Bea as a teen. I feel that every story (real life or fiction) talks about how kids who are overweight had no friends in school or had a terrible experience. I personally had the opposite and had great friends and etc. This has already been a pet peeve of mine as it is like no fat person had positive social interactions. This is just a me thing though and my own personal irritation. I hope that makes sense.

Overall, I loved this one though. I loved how real it was and that it showed both the positive and negative supports for Bea when she was on her journey.

Triggers for fat shaming, cheating, and harmful social media comments around fat people


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment