Friday, March 20, 2020

Break the Fall by Jennifer Iacopelli

Break the FallBreak the Fall by Jennifer Iacopelli
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

I tend to really enjoy books around gymnastics! I was excited for this one, but I was not expecting the story to take the turns that it did. It was a little like a spin off on what is going on in the real world of US Gymnastics today. This does have triggers for sexual abuse. It did not have any graphic scenes and is more about believing what happened to a fellow gymnast. It is a story about teammates and the world coming together around a bigger issue than just competition. It also covers the subject with perpetrators and how they can try to groom a victim before the abuse starts. This was an important part that you do not normally see within a story and I like that it could be a good talking point when reading this one.

I was expecting to learn more around Audrey and her injury. The story references her injury and the pain she is suffering throughout, but I would have liked to start the story with a little around her injury/recovery.

One thing that really irritated me was how the story continuously noted how horrible Audrey was doing during her competitions and practice. She would constantly say how she knew she was the worst on the team or messing up. She made the Olympic team! She cannot be that horrible! I also hate that she was only winning at first during due to her teammates messing up.

I absolutely loved how all of the girls from the different counties come together for the American team. I actually teared up during this moment! Again, this is very real to what is going on so it just hit harder than it normally would.

This does have a ton of actual gymnastics in it as well. There was almost a little too much for me which is something I never thought I would say. It dragged on a little too much for me as the competitions were very detailed. I know others will love this though.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment