Wednesday, March 6, 2019

The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer: Upcoming Release March 19, 2019

The Things We Cannot SayThe Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Have you ever picked up a book not really sure if it was going to be something you would love, but then ended up loving it?! That is exactly what happened for me while reading The Things We Cannot Say. I am going to try to sum up my feelings around this story, but all I can really say is that it was beautiful; beautiful writing and beautiful story.

This story follows two different voices, but they are connected. I do not want to give away too much. Kelly Rimmer does an excellent job looking into Autism and the social stigmas/misunderstandings around it. It tells an important story around understanding what others may be facing and not to judge or assume you know what a child needs (a child just needs discipline). I teared up within the first chapter and that is not where the tears ended.

This also follows WWII in 1942. I have read several other books in this time frame, but Kelly Rimmer did an amazing job bringing the emotions to the scenes with the Nazis. Everything happening was so heartbreaking and I found myself tearing up at almost every chapter. Characters will survive, face heartbreak, and characters will die. The author was not afraid to take the story to the scary realism of the times back then.

There were a few points where I did feel like the story was dragging on and a little repetitive. However; this did not take away from the story or the emotions I was feeling the more I read.

I could go on and on around this story, but the main takeaway is go read it! Even if you do not love historical fiction, go read this (it has modern times as well). Overall, I loved this and I need more from Kelly Rimmer!

I was sent a copy of this book from the publisher; however this did not influence my review.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment