Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The One Real Thing by Samantha Young

The One Real Thing (Hart's Boardwalk, #1)The One Real Thing by Samantha Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

I know! I know! How is this my first Samantha Young read? I really wanted to read On Dublin Street as so many people rave about that series. However; I accidently purchased a copy in Spanish. So, I started with The One Real Thing since I ownded the first two books in the series.

I really enjoyed how this story started off with Jessica working in the prison. I was not expecting this to take the road it did, but I ended up enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I did not understand how she gave up her whole career as she figured out she was not happy. I did not get that from the beginning of her story. I wish she would have gotten offered the medical job as that would have worked better than just giving up her whole world after only a few weeks.

I was not a fan of some of the plot devices thrown into the story. There are triggers for suicide and abuse. I thought these were thrown into the story as an afterthought and did not really mesh or go with the story. I would have preferred the story to stick to the letters, the romance, and Cooper's past.

I liked some of the side characters, so I look forward to reading more in this world.

Overall, I enjoyed this and I will continue on with the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment