Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Regretting You by Colleen Hoover

Regretting YouRegretting You by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was sent this book from the publisher/publicity team. My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review.

I love Colleen Hoover and was ecstatic when Regretting You showed up at my front door. I literally called into work for the rest of the day as I had to start reading it immediately. This is going to be hard to put into words without giving away any spoilers though as any little detail will take away from my favorite part of the whole book.

I highly recommend going into this blind. The first half of this story blew me away. The story itself took a different turn than I thought it was going to take, but I liked it. I did not see the twist coming at all. I thought there was going to be a cheating scandal, but I was not expecting everything that happened. Even though you are set up to dislike certain characters, I balled my eyes out. I really connected to this part of the story and I was very emotional while reading the first half of the book. I was hooked! The first half alone was without a doubt a five star read! The twist happened so early though, so I was wondering what was going to happen next.

The rest of the story was the characters living through the grief of losing their loved ones and living through the twist. I totally understand Clara and her grief, but I felt at times she was too bratty. This also involves the communication trope (lack there of), so be aware going in that most of the second half occurs due to Morgan and Clara not talking with each other. I just felt this all dragged out a little too long. I wanted/needed something else to happen and it just never did.

You are really getting multiple stories in one with this one. You have the story around grief and loss; the story about a mother and her child; the long awaited romance or lack there of between Morgan and Jonah (do not want to spoil if they do or do not); and the romance between Clara and Miller. I wanted more around Morgan and Jonah, but we get much more of Clara and Miller. I still enjoyed their romance, but again wanted a little more around other parts of the story.

There was a few details I also wanted more around. I would have liked more with Grandpa. He was so fun! I thought his cancer was going to come back into play and bring another emotional moment to the story. He was really not too involved, but does come back into play towards the end. I also wanted to know what the letters and cards said! I know and understand why Morgan did what she did, but I think this was another moment to bring more to her story rather the YA story.

Overall, I still really enjoyed this. As mentioned above the first half was a 5 star easily. The second half is what lost me a little and knocked it down to a four. I am still between a 4 and 4.5 star, but I cannot decide! I look forward to what Colleen Hoover brings to us next!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment