Tuesday, November 12, 2019

When the Stars Lead to You by Ronni Davis

When the Stars Lead to YouWhen the Stars Lead to You by Ronni Davis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I went into this thinking it was going to a romance. It was, but it was also a hard hitting contemporary which is my absolute favorite. This story is kind of told within three parts: before, during, and after. I was pretty hooked from beginning as you start to see how Devon and Ashton meet and start their love story. I was not a huge fan that this does have a year jump where you miss the anguish Devon was going through though.

I loved that this story dealt with a Bi-Racial relationship. It really does hit on several good conversations around race and acceptance of dating outside your race as well. I really enjoyed these parts, especially being in a bi-racial relationship myself. Thankfully, our family accepted our love much more so than Ashtons.

This also deals with mental health including depression and suicidal ideations. You may not know that going in, but it is important as this could be a trigger for some. Where this would be something I would normally love in a book, it just fell a little flat for me. It was almost thrown in at times where it did not fit. I wanted more around Ashton and his depression, his battle, and the everything that happens along this storyline. ‘

The story itself was pretty good. I do not feel like this needed to be 400 though. There was too much filler for me. I also could not always connect with the writing. There are a lot of shorter sentences and fragments (other times I would be locked in with the writing; I know does not make sense).

I really loved at the end where the author shares her own story. The author also shares resources for mental health which I loved.

Overall, I liked this but did not fall in love with it as much as I would have liked too.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment