Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Only Ever Her by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen

Only Ever HerOnly Ever Her by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was sent and early copy from the publisher, and I was excited to jump into this one based on the synopsis. When this started, I thought it was going to be a thriller that would keep me guessing, but unfortunately it fell flat.

This starts off with several different perspectives: Annie, Faye, Clary, Kenney, and Laurel. I thought this was going to get confusing, but it was really easy to keep each character and their story separate. However; this was more of a story about the surrounding characters than it was about Annie missing. We never really got to know Annie before she ends up missing. The rest of the story is her missing (nothing really to it until the reveal) and what the other characters have been going through. I do not feel any were really developed the way I would like and I never found myself connecting to any of them.

There were several things thrown in that needed to be fleshed out even more. For example, I do not understand why Annie and Kenney had to end their friendship once she was married or why they kept it hidden since high school. This was hidden from everyone in a small town who seemed to know Annie’s every move, yet they had no clue Kenney was her best friend? I also feel like there was little to no information around Annie and her relationship with her fiancĂ© Scott. All we know is that he was off with her best friend while she was missing and possibly dead. It just did not work for me.

The ending was also just blah for me. It was random with no thrilling reveal or story around what really happened. I would have liked to see this more of a thriller around Annie missing.

Overall, this was ok. I left feeling disappointed.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment