Saturday, January 18, 2020

Scars Like Wings by Erin Stewart

Scars Like WingsScars Like Wings by Erin Stewart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“You are in control. You can’t change what happened to you, but you can take control of your story.”

This was a story unlike any other I have read. It was an emotional ride with so many amazing messages along the way. This is a story around healing, family, and finding yourself. There were also so many quotes I loved and highlighted while reading this. I noted one in the beginning, and there was another one I wanted to note that occurred during therapy, “use words that give you power instead of strip it away.”

There were certain parts that just hit me harder than others. Every time Ava was on stage and singing, I teared up. It was just powerful moments in her journey that really touched me. The moments with her Aunt and Uncle were also touching. They also lost so much, but are doing whatever they can do for Ava.

Ava is really struggling with her looks, and that might seem like the forefront of her concerns but it really was not. She was fighting with the aftermath of the fire in every part of her life. There was flashbacks of what happened with her family, her recovery, and her internal struggle of losing her parents and cousins. It was all emotional, but not in ball my eyes out pull.

This also tells the story on how we each struggle differently. Ava is very open around her hurt and healing where as Piper acts like she is full of life. You can really tell that Piper was hiding her feelings behind a smile. I actually like this added message to the story, but I am not sure if a younger audience will pick up it.

I would love to see this turned into a Netflix or similar adaptation as I could picture it the whole time I was reading. Overall, I really enjoyed this one.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment