Sunday, January 15, 2023

The Words by Ashley Jade

The WordsThe Words by Ashley Jade
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have been seeing this one on so many Best of the Year reads, so I had to finally give it a try. I really did not know much going into it though and had no clue that this is following main characters in high school (to start). I kept reading as I was interested in their romance from the start though. It does move to four years later pretty quickly though.

Triggers for dementia, abuse, mental health, death, and more.

Let me start by saying I am plus size. This was supposed to be a Plus size representation, but it is not! This follows Lennon who is a 18 year old graduating from High School. I was excited when she is introduced as a size 18 character as it is rare we get to see that in a main character. However; I hated that it was all about body image as well as her being bullied. It would be great to finally have a story where the overweight character is NOT bullied and just accepted. She, of course, also loses weight to finally have a purpose and worth being looked at by other men. Ugg! I hate that so much!

This was much longer than it needed to be. I found myself skipping several chapters and I do not feel I missed anything important around the story.

Sadly, this one just was not for me. I found myself rolling my eyes so much in the beginning around the fat phobia that I just think I lost interest with the reoccurring theme throughout. Again, this was also too long and threw in so many tropes to keep it going.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment