Saturday, July 21, 2018

Girls Night Out by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke: Upcoming Release with Review



I was sent this book from the publisher.  My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review. 



Synopsis:
"For estranged friends Ashley, Natalie, and Lauren, it’s time to heal the old wounds between them. Where better to repair those severed ties than on a girls’ getaway to the beautiful paradise of Tulum, Mexico? But even after they’re reunited, no one is being completely honest about the past or the secrets they’re hiding. When Ashley disappears on their girls’ night out, Natalie and Lauren have to try to piece together their hazy memories to figure out what could have happened to her, while also reconciling their feelings of guilt over their last moments together.

Was Ashley with the man she’d met only days before? Did she pack up and leave? Was she kidnapped? Or worse—could Natalie or Lauren have snapped under the weight of her own lies?

As the clock ticks, hour by hour, Natalie and Lauren’s search rushes headlong into growing suspicion and dread. Maybe their secrets run deeper and more dangerous than one of them is willing—or too afraid—to admit."



MY REVIEW:

My Rating: 2 Stars

Format: Paperback

Source: Publisher

Release Date: July 24, 2018

I am really torn on my thoughts when it comes to Girls Night Out. There were things I loved about this book, and others I just did not.

I thought this story was going to be about a Girls Night Out that turns very badly, which it was. This story follows three friends who are really at a turning point in their lives. They are all older characters (39 and 40) which I also really enjoyed. However; the friendship is very weak within the trio as part of the trip is to mend and fix some of the reasons it is falling apart. The first few chapters brings a mystery around the friendship and why it is the way it is. We learn more throughout the story as it pieces together. I really enjoyed the beginning.

I also really enjoyed how modern this book and how realistic the premise was (not the twist, just the idea). While reading you will see references to Shark Tank, YouTube, Time Hop, and Sephora. This also involved the three friends traveling to Mexico and one friend disappearing. That is just creepy in itself due to what has been happening to travelers today when visiting tourist areas.

My problem was I felt like the book was all over the place. Chapters jump from Three Days Before (what happened), to the Day After, to even places such as The Morning of the Night. The day after parts were very suspenseful and had me at the edge of my seat in the beginning. But as soon as I would get excited, the story jumped back to several pages/chapters about the past. It just lost that edge I wanted when it did that.

There were also so many flashbacks in the middle of a current scene. They were writing in the middle of the scene and it would take me a minute to realize we jumped back in mid thought. I wish it was formatted a little differently.

Where I loved the beginning, it went downhill a little for me after that. The middle of the story dragged a little bit. The ending started to take a weird turn as well. This took almost a mystical turn with shockras, auras, and cleansings. The more that was revealed around what happened to Ashley, the less I was enjoying the twist (which should be the time to peak my interest). It just was not that thrilling in the end.

Overall, I loved the beginning but did not end liking where this one went. I did finish it, as if you start this you will want to find out what happens at the end.


Please comment below with any comments and to show your support for Simply Kelina!

Follow me on Twitter

Follow me on Instagram

Follow me on Facebook

Follow me on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment