Thursday, September 29, 2016

September 2016 Monthly Wrap Up

I had a pretty successful reading month.  Well, for me I did!  I have never read this many books in one month, EVER!  So grab a snack or some hot tea...this is going to be a long one!  If you want to see what I read and some of my quick thoughts, check it out below.


September 2016 Reading Stats: I read 9 books this month and had 3 DNF

Goodreads Rating System: 
5 Star-It was Amazing
4 Star-Really Liked It
3 Star-Liked It
2 Star-It was Ok
1 Star-Did not like It


My Rating: 5 Stars (It was Amazing)
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
Wow! Just wow! I started tonight at about half way through and I could not go to bed until I was done. This book was amazing!
My emotions were all over the place. At times, I found myself smiling (like cheesy grins) from some of the characters. I just loved Jayden as a minor character. 
This also left me sobbing! I mean tears were flowing. I cried with tears of excitement and happiness and also tears of sadness. It was a roller coaster, but in the best way possible from a book.
I loved both of the main characters and all of the other characters. Everyone plays an important role in this story and brings an additional attachment to some real life hardships. 
This is the best book I have read in 2016 so far! Can't wait to pick up the next JLA book!!!


My Rating: 4 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
I know this book has been getting both positive and negative reviews, but I actually liked it. At first I was not sure what I was feeling in regards to this being written in a play form, but once you start reading you can just glide through the writing. It was a really easy and fast read.
I love the Harry Potter series, and although this was not the greatest book of the series it still was exciting to get back into the Potter craze. I loved that this brings so many characters back to life and also brings some new characters to this adventure. I really hope this is not where this ends, but we will see.
I definitely recommend at least giving this a try if you are a Harry Potter fan.


My Rating: 3 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
Where do I even start! On so many levels I feel this book could have been a 5 star review if certain topics would have been taken out and others expanded on. I actually started this about a week ago and I thought I was going to DNF this. I could not get into it at first and just thought it was blah. However; I decided to pick up from where I left off tonight and I finished it. 

This book deals with several issues including mental health issues, substance abuse issues, abandonment issues, college and first love issues, and more. Again, this could have even more powerful if certain areas were more drawn out during the book. 

I loved Levi! His character was sweet, charming, and funny. I wish we could have seen more development within the relationship between Levi and Cath.

I will say I took off 1 star for all the Simon and Baz chapters. Even though they were only one page or a few pages within a chapter, these were not necessary in my opinion. I found myself skipping over these sections. 
Now what I hated...the ending!!! I took off another star for the ending. Seriously!!!?? Cath turns in her paper for her writing class without us being able to read it all. The new S and B book comes out and that is it. No wrap up on anything else and it was just over. This had so much potential but I found it fell short in the places I wanted more!!


My Rating: 3 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
I can't decide how I feel about this book yet. At times I felt like I was addicted and couldn't wait to see what happened next. Other times I felt it was repetitive and dragged on and on. 
I liked the parts with Lo as I feel there were some really intense and real situations when it comes to alcohol addiction. Lo is dealing with so many things and right off you know his childhood is one reason he has a drinking problem. I will say the twist with his brother was easy to figure out right away and it was not a surprise when it was revealed. 
I did not enjoy Lily and her sex addiction at all. I feel it was very inconsistent and it was honestly annoying me. 
Overall, I liked this and it was a fast read. The sex scenes are not too intense or graphic so if you don't like that in a book this one is not too bad. It has a lot of sexual tension though. I may or may not read book 2. I only want to see what happens with Lo and that may get me to jump further into this series.






















Obsidian (Lux #1)
My Rating: 4 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
I never would have considered this book, but it was all the rage on YouTube so I decided to give it a try. I will say if you are a fan of Twlight, you may or may not like this. It is very similar but instead of vampires you have aliens. The love story in this first book is exactly the same though which at times I felt annoyed about. Other times I was excited to be brought back to the world. 
I still am giving this four stars though. This was my first JA book, and I really enjoyed her writing style. The book was faced paced and kept my interest. I finished it only 2 days and I have already starting reading the next book in this series.

Onyx (Lux #2)
My Rating: 2 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
I hate giving this only 2 stars, but I just have too. It was really only just ok. I read the first book in this series in two days, and I was expecting this to be just as good. However; the action slowed down and not much really happened until the end. Then it was so much and it all went so quickly it really was hard to keep track of what it all really meant.
Katy also really annoyed me during this book. I liked her character in book 1, but this book was just her going back and forth about the mistakes Daemon had made. It was her whining the whole time, and I just wanted this part to move on. 
Dee was almost non-existent in this book until the end which I also did not like.
I really enjoyed book 1 and was hoping to read through this series quickly. I am now hesitant to pick up book 3, but I will give it a try. If it does not peak my interest quickly then it may be the end of this book series for me.

Opal (Lux #3)
My Rating: 3 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
After the second book I really was not sure if I wanted to keep reading this series, but I am glad I picked up book three. The writing style was so much better and brought me back to why I loved booked one. It was almost like book two was a different author. This book was an easy read and I read it only in a few days. 
I loved the love connection between Daemon and Katy and loved seeing their relationship grow! I also love how other characters were brought back to life in this book which I felt were lacking in the previous. The spoiler at the end (you have to read it) was good and now I cannot wait to read the next book in the series! It leaves you wanting more.

Origin (Lux #4)
My Rating: 3 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
I started this when I got off work and I already finished it tonight. I will say, I skipped a ton and focused on the dialogue between characters. I also skipped the love scenes to get back to the action. However; I still really liked this book. I have to say it had a lot more action and was really fast paced. I did take off one star due to the characters not focusing on being trapped by the government and often being more consumed with wanting to physically be together than anything. I just feel that is odd if you know your life is in danger and you are more about staying in a room for hours at a time than saving your and your families life.
I really did like the build up to the war that is brewing, but I have to agree with some other reviews. I feel the series is starting to drag on, and it did not have to take as many books to have been a great series. I will continue the series since I am this far into it and want to see what happens, but I may need to take a few weeks off before diving into the next book to maybe appreciate it a little more.

My Rating: 2 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
This book is a collection of letters from people aged 17-24 writing to their 16 year old self. I actually work with people who deal with a lot of these issues, so I was excited to read this book. I think it is actually a really good book for a teenager to read who may be struggling with their sense of self or a mental health disorder. I think they could relate to some of the chapters.
This book deals with so many different issues: Depression, anxiety, abandonment, divorce, sexuality, and other issues. I liked the range of issues covered.
Since this is a collection of letters, each chapter is a little different. They are all only a few pages each so this was a really quick read. Some were better than others but you should expect that since there are different writers.
One of my favorite quotes in this book stated "Your appearance is not a reflection of yourself. You are more than a reflection in a mirror."
Overall, I think this was a good read and feel others who may be struggling with some of the issues may be able to relate to it.
I was sent this E-book for an early advance read through Netgalley. 



My Rating: 1 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
I am so sad to say this, but I DNF this. I do not know what has happened with NS and his writing, but I have not been able to finish or get into the last three books he has written. This has never been an issue prior to these last few as I normally read his books in one sitting. He has always been my favorite author and I would be so excited when a new book was being released. 
I have tried three different times to pick this up and give it a try. I tried when it first came out, again a few months ago, and then again last night. I found the beginning so boring and had no interest to keep reading. I could not connect with the characters and found even their conversations dull. 
Maybe there is a twist or a heart breaking ending like most of NS books but I don't think I will ever find out with this one. I am officially done trying with this one. So sad!


My Rating: 1 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
I know that most people love this book, but I just could not finish it.  The suspense in this book comes from wondering if the abusive husband is going to find the main character and her child. There were some flashbacks of the abusive events and the book shows how the MC escapes and tries to re-start her life.  I just thought this was boring and it did not get my attention.  I work with domestic violence victims, and I do feel the fear of the abuse was well written, but it was not enough for me to finish reading this.


My Rating: 1 Stars 
Format: Kindle
Photo Source: Goodreads 

My Thoughts:
Since this was a quick novella, I thought I would give it a try. I was pretty irritated right away and I just could not finish this. I think it starts off intense when the main character is kidnapped, but it went downhill from there. I was not expecting what happened next...but not in a good way.
When the MC awakes after being taken the first thing she does is looks around and hopes to find her friends. Then she spots her brother and it states "At last! I spied my brother." I think this is really an odd way of thinking when you were just kidnapped. Wouldn't your first thought be OMG, they have others? Where am I? What is going on? My brother?! Is he ok? What the heck is going on? I am just saying, I would not be excited to see people I knew (relieved maybe so I was not alone, but in a good way if that makes sense.) It all really just annoyed me and I gave up when it moved to a possibly military takeover with jobs to do. Maybe it got better as I see most of the reviews are much higher, but I do not think I will be finishing this even though it is not too long.

Let me know what you are reading down below as I am always looking for new recommendations.

Please comment below with any comments and to show your support for Simply Kelina!

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment