Thursday, September 15, 2016

August Book Wrap-Up

I have been really getting back into reading, and I thought it would be fun to do monthly wrap-ups of some of the books I have been reading.  Let me know down below if you would like to see more of these in the future...


I purchased all of the mentioned books with my own money.  I either read these on my Kindle or in book format.

Photo Per Goodreads

The first book I tackled last month was a re-read.  I had been in a reading slump, and really have not read all year.  Every time I picked up a book, I would read a few chapters and then be done.  Nothing could peak my interest for some reason.  I picked up Homecoming as this was a book I read when I was in grade school.  It has been so long since I read it, I decided to give it another try.  I read it in only two days and it brought me right back to the way I felt when I first read it.  I think I related even more this time around with the plot due to my current profession in social work.  Needless to say, this brought my passion for reading back and I was excited to jump into the next book.

Image from Goodreads


I can honestly say I can only name a few movies that I think are better than the books. I prefer reading books first, but in this case I actually watched season 1 of The 100 prior to reading the book. I really enjoyed season 1 and it peaked my interest in reading the book as I thought it would be so much better. I was actually pretty disappointed.

The television series had much more action than the first book. The book has different characters and different aspects to each character (personalities, life on the ship, etc). You really get to know more about the characters in the book. The 100 are sent to Earth, but the way they start to work to survive on Earth is also different. I found it kind of boring actually. The very end is when you get introduced into a possible new existence of life on Earth. Other than that, there just was no suspense.

I am going to try to read book 2 and I hope it gets better. If you think you like what the plot says, I recommend watching the television series as so far the book does not even compare.

Image from Goodreads

Maybe I should not even write a review since I could not finish this book. I know this is a very hyped up series right now, so I of course wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I tried three different times to start and get into this book. I was immediately reminded of the Hunger Games as this has the same feel and dystopian setting. I just could not get into it. I read to where Mare, the main character, is taken to the palace. Maybe it would get more interesting after this, but I just could not find myself sitting in anticipation for what would happen next. I was starting to skip conversations just to see if it would start moving. I gave up. If you love these types of books, you may love it and it may start to pick up from where I gave up. I may reach for this again later to see if something sparks my interest, but for now, I have to move on to something different and accept this was just not for me.

So, that is it!  I know that was not too many, but I was getting over my slump.  I have already read three books in September and working on the fourth.  I can not wait to share my thoughts on those.  I hope you enjoyed this.  Let me know what you are reading down below as I am always looking for new recommendations.

Please comment below with any comments and to show your support for Simply Kelina!

Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment