Saturday, May 12, 2018

Don't Believe It by Charlie Donlea: New Release with REVIEW


I was sent this book from the publisher.  My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review. 

Synopsis:
"From acclaimed author Charlie Donlea comes a twisting, impossible-to-put-down novel of suspense in which a filmmaker helps clear a woman convicted of murder—only to find she may be a pawn in a sinister game.

The Girl of Sugar Beach is the most watched documentary in television history—a riveting, true-life mystery that unfolds over twelve weeks and centers on a fascinating question: Did Grace Sebold murder her boyfriend, Julian, while on a Spring Break vacation, or is she a victim of circumstance and poor police work? Grace has spent the last ten years in a St. Lucian prison, and reaches out to filmmaker Sidney Ryan in a last, desperate attempt to prove her innocence.

As Sidney begins researching, she uncovers startling evidence, additional suspects, and timeline issues that were all overlooked during the original investigation. Before the series even finishes filming, public outcry leads officials to reopen the case. But as the show surges towards its final episodes, Sidney receives a letter saying that she got it badly, terribly wrong.

Sidney has just convinced the world that Grace is innocent. Now she wonders if she has helped to free a ruthless killer. Delving into Grace’s past, she peels away layer after layer of deception. But as Sidney edges closer to the real heart of the story, she must decide if finding the truth is worth risking her newfound fame, her career . . . even her life."

 

MY REVIEW:

My Rating: 4 Stars

Format: Paperback

Source: Publisher

Release Date: May 29, 2018

If you love real crime documentaries, you will love Don’t Believe It. This is a story based on a crime committed on St. Lucia ten years prior. Grace continues to claim her innocence, and a documentary is going to be made to go through the evidence to help prove once and for all if Grace is incident. I really loved the mystery around the murder, as it really did keep you guessing. I will say though I thought I had everything figured out within 40 pages, and I ended up being right! Even though I thought I knew what happened, I still really enjoyed the twists along the way. I loved being able to examine the evidence along with the show, as it really makes you feel like you are along for the ride.

I really enjoyed the writing style, and I like that the flashbacks of the murder were told in a TV episode format. However; at times the story would cover too many details around other stories and also around things I just did not care for. For example, I really did not care about camera angles or the filming around the documentary. I just wanted it to move on to the episodes.

I also loved how Gus comes into the story, as I did not see what he brought to the story coming.

Overall, I think this was an overall great mystery! It is one of my favorite of the year so far!


Please comment below with any comments and to show your support for Simply Kelina!

Follow me on Twitter

Follow me on Instagram

Follow me on Facebook

Follow me on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment